University of Medicine, Taunggyi was inaugurated by former president U Thein Sein on Oct 3, 2015 . The English Department was simultaneously established with University of Medicine, Taunggyi in 2015. It was composed of Lecturer / Head ,1 Lecturer, 3 Assistant Lecturers and 3 newly appointed tutors in 2015. In 2017, a newly appointed tutor was offered to this Department as its needfulness. Now, the Lecturer and Head, together with 1 Lecturer, 3 assistant Lecturers and tutors in full strength formed a more dynamic group to run a more effective English course of all four skills as well as academic skills for premedical students.
Department Of English (Former Heads)
Daw Nang Kham Set B.A (English), Diploma in English Language Teaching, M.A (English) is the First and Foremost Head of the Department. She has started her role at UMTGi since October, 2015 up to now.
|Name||:||Daw Nang Kham Set|
|Rank||:||Lecturer / Head|
|Degree||:||B.A (English), Dip in ELT, M.A (English)|
Department Of English (Academic Staffs)
|Name||:||Daw Kyi Kyi Soe|
|Degree||:||B.A (Q), M.A (English)|
|Name||:||Daw Khine Lae Win|
|Degree||:||B.A (Hons;), M.A(English)|
|Name||:||Daw Su Mon Aung|
|Degree||:||B.A (Hons;), M.A (English)|
|Name||:||U Aung Zaw Lin|
|Name||:||Daw Khin Nandar Htwe|
|Name||:||Daw Seine Moh Moh|
|Name||:||Daw Wint Thiri Aung|
|Name||:||Daw Khin Myat Noe|
|Degree||:||B.A(Hons:), Dip ELT, M.A(English)|
2015-2016 Academic Year
At the end of the course the students should be able to
- Utilize active reading strategies to increase comprehension in reading various texts
- Demonstrate the ability to pronounce words with a degree of accuracy sufficient for intelligibility in an international context applying appropriate stress and intonation patterns
- Write concisely, concretely, and accurately and communicatively to organize ideas
- Recognize the conventions of scientific writing styles and present scientific information in appropriate language
- Apply medical related vocabulary and terminology in contexts
- Achieve fluency and accuracy in speaking for academic and general purposes
- Use grammatical structures appropriately and accurately in writing tasks
At the end of the course the students will have
- acquired knowledge and usage of grammatical structure and relevant English language functions for communication.
- acquired basic understanding of health through reading literature, writing and speaking.
- acquired skills in using English correctly by reading and doing a variety of exercises.
- acquired acceptable proficiency in speaking, listening, reading and writing.
- gained ability of organization facts, figures and ideas and presenting logically and coherently.
- become self-reliant learner through programmed learning (self-learning packages).
- achieved enough proficiency in participating actively in workshops, discussions, seminars and conferences conducted in English.
- acquired a sense of responsibility towards the health problems of the community as well as social problems related to health.
Under graduate Course – 1st M.B.,B.S Course
Period of study – ten months
Total teaching hour – (180) hours
Method of teaching – Lecture
– Small group teaching
– Team – based learning
A total of 180 teaching hours is allocated as follow:
Teaching hours 162 hours
- Reading 40 hours
- Listening 22 hours
- Speaking 24 hours
- Grammar and syntax 33 hours
- Vocabulary development 8 hours
- Writing 35 hours
Tutorial 12 hours
Tests 6 hours
Revision 10 hours
Total 180 hours
- Course Book Gateway B2 by David Spencer, MACMILLAN
- Cloze types from articles, text, journals and magazines
- Vocabulary development
- Medical vocabulary,medical terminology, abbreviation and phrasal verbs,
descriptive Language of systems review (Manual of English for the overseas doctor)
- Various sources for writing practice
- referrals, case history, essays , e mail
- The use of certain grammatical items
- (articles, quantitative, conditionals, tenses, prepositions, stylistic transformation)
- ( relative clauses, modals, do or make,)
- Listening materials
- B2 , IELTS Super pack , TOEFL iBT Super pack
- Speaking practice materials
- Let’s talk 2 , B2
- Pair Work , Group Work , Role Play , Presentation , Debate,
- Team-based learning
- Personal and professional Development
- (Hippocratic Oath , Medical symbol, The risk of Cigarette smoke )
- Let’s Enjoy the fruit of teamwork
( lecture – recipe & procedure
activity – students produce the Shan traditional dessert in groups)
Staff Development Activities
1. Talks, discussions and micro teaching are given to the junior teachers by senior teachers on academic topics such as English for specific purposes language teaching methodology, language testing and evaluation, phonetics, how to teach reading skills and writing skills etc. at 10 a.m every Wednesday at the Department.
Departmental discussion (weekly)
1.Intensive refresher courses for teachers
Intensive refresher courses were provided by Christoper Blood from NELC Explore for teachers at university on schemes of work, lesson plans and how to make lessons more interactive and interesting.
Refresher course given by Derek Spafford at University of Medicine, Mandalay